Sustainable building design
It is important to us that our acoustic design advice forms part of a wider sustainable agenda. We integrate our advice with green building design and provide advice on achieving BREEAM excellent or outstanding and LEED platinum ratings.
In relation to acoustics, sustainable design covers assessment of natural ventilation, use of thermal mass, use of sustainable materials such as cross laminated timber and the need to rationalise acceptable noise levels with temperature control in dwellings.
Key considerations in the design process are:
- alternative plant options to reduce plant noise and increase energy efficiency
- alternative room units and the need for balance between noise reduction and sound masking
- good aerodynamic design, achieving lower velocities
- use of high quality fans with variable speed controllers
- use of combined heating and power (CHP)
- specification of products that embody energy efficiency
- setting design targets that are appropriate to energy efficiency.